Being Offered a Property

If you would like information on applying for the housing register, please visit our Applying for the Housing Register webpage.

If you would like information on bidding for properties through the housing register, please visit our Bidding for Properties webpage.

Being offered a property through the Housing Register

Once a bidding cycle has ended, a list of applicants will be sent to the housing associations advertising the properties. The housing associations will then contact you directly to offer a property. This is usually done by telephone so we strongly advise your phone is available to you if expecting an offer.

You will usually be asked to complete a pre-tenancy form by the housing association, and they will ask for a copy of your ID and bank statements. Please make sure you have those documents available to send to the housing associations as otherwise your offer may be delayed.

When you apply for social housing you will be assessed against our Allocations Policy, if you are accepted onto the register and a successful bidder for a property the landlord will then assess those bids in relation to their own Allocations Policy. Their policy may be different to ours.

Your offer will ultimately be dependent on their policy, even if you have been accepted by us.

It is important to note that when placing a bid you will be considered for a property, based on the advertised criteria and landlord's allocations/lettings policy.

The main areas of difference between policies may relate to:

  • Applicants owing rent or housing debt
  • Having criminal convictions or pending charges
  • Anti-social behaviour

Housing associations have the right to refuse to offer a property to an applicant based on rent arrears or their ability to afford the property.

Deposit or first months rent

You should start thinking about your deposit early. Most housing associations expect one month rent in advance at sign up, so you should start saving early. We cannot offer help with rent in advance for social renting tenants.

There are other organisations that may be able to help, such as the Clockwise Credit Union. You can find links to these organisations below.

Furnishing your home

Properties will be offered unfurnished, and you will be expected to source your own carpets and curtains. The organisations below may be useful in helping you furnish your home.

If you are working with the Housing Options team to prevent or relieve your homelessness we may be able to make a referral to the Leicestershire Welfare Provision for help to furnish your home. Speak to your officer for more information.

Last updated 25 April 2024
Do you need to get in touch with us? Use our contact form.