Due to essential maintenance, online Council Tax services will be unavailable Sunday 29 November 4 pm until 10 pm. We apologise for any inconvenience this may cause.
The latest information, advice and support on Coronavirus.
Garden waste collections resume on Monday 30 November.


To help reduce the risk of flooding and the damage it can cause, there is national advice to help plan for a flood before it happens, know what to do during a flood, and recovering after a flood.

Advice if you witness flooding

Flooding from sewers

Contact Severn Trent Water online, see link at bottom of page or call 0800 783 4444. To assist them please have your postcode ready and record the incident number given to you. This may enable you to track your enquiry.

Flooding on roads

Contact Leicestershire County Council Highways online, see link at bottom of page or on 0116 3050001. The problem may be drainage related or influenced by the capacity of Severn Trent Water Limited’s sewers serving the highway drains.

Flooding from main rivers

(e.g. Soar, Whetstone Brook, Sence, and others)

Contact the Environment Agency Floodline, see link at bottom of page. Warnings of flooding from main rivers can be provided by email or text message by registering with the Environment Agency using the Floodline number 0845 988 1188.

Flooding from ordinary rivers or streams

It is the riparian owners' (i.e. the landowners) responsibility to make sure that a watercourse is not obstructed. If you live on the edge of any watercourse you have a responsibility to ensure that it does not become obstructed. 

Is your home at risk of flooding?

To find out if you are at risk of flooding from main rivers and streams, using your postcode or address you can view maps on the Environment Agency website.

Leicestershire County Council as the Lead Local Flood Authority is interested in recording all reports of flooding in order to identify any patterns emerging.

Report flooding issues to Leicestershire County Council online, see link at bottom of page or call 0116 3050001. 

Protecting your home from flooding 

It is your responsibility to protect your home in the first instance. 

If you think that your home is at risk of flooding and believe you need to protect your home with suitable flood defence products.

The National Flood Forum, see linked at bottom of page, a charity set up to support those affected by flooding have a list of available flood protection products on their blue pages, see linked at bottom of page.

In an emergency sandbags can be purchased from DIY outlets ready to use in case of a flood. Remember though, sandbags are only a short term fix and may not be appropriate or effective in some flood risk circumstances.

Sandbag policy

Blaby District Council keep a limited number of sandbags to help protect vulnerable people and critical council infrastructure.

Water activated sandbags can be purchased from the Council subject to availability. Charges may vary and are currently £10 per 1.5 metre water activated sandbag.

In an emergency situation we may be able to deliver sandbags depending upon the individual circumstances and subject to available resources but this cannot be guaranteed.

Read more information on how to protect your home from flooding on the Environment Agency website

More flood advice is available on the Leicester, Leicestershire and Rutland Local Resilience Forum website, see link at bottom of page.

You can find more information about our Climate Change Strategy on the webpage.

Sandbag Policy
Last updated 27 August 2020
Do you need to get in touch with us? Use our contact form.
A to Z of Council Services