Feedback and complaints

We always try to get things right but we know that sometimes things go wrong and you might not always be happy with the service you receive. If this happens then we want to know.

We would also like to hear from you if you think that we have done something well, or you have had an extraordinary customer service experience. See below for more details.

What is a complaint?

A complaint is an expression of dissatisfaction about a Council service that requires a response.

This includes:

  • Unreasonable delay in providing a response or undertaking a service
  • Failure to provide a service at the standard expected
  • Failure to be treated fairly
  • Maladministration of your case

How to make a complaint

You can make your complaint in writing, by telephone, email or by completing the Council’s online complaints form below.

Complaints can also be made in person to the Service Manager of the area you are concerned about - or direct to any of the Group Managers at Blaby District Council.

We will acknowledge your complaint within five working days and we aim to provide a full response to your complaint within 15 working days. If we need longer to consider aspects of your complaint we will keep you informed of the reasons why and when you should expect to receive a response.

If you are not satisfied with the response you receive you may contact us and request a review of your complaint by an independent officer, who has not had any previous involvement in your complaint. You should set out the reasons why you are unhappy with the outcome, preferably in writing.

The review process will normally take 15 working days and you will receive a written response.

If you are still unhappy after going through the Council’s complaints procedure you can take your complaint to the Local Government and Social Care Ombudsman who may decide to investigate the issue on your behalf.

More information is available by downloading our Complaint's Policy 2020 and our New Complaints Leaflet below.

Not a Complaint?

Sometimes the complaint process is not the most appropriate way to address your concerns. Examples of issues we cannot address through this process include:

  • When you first request a service
  • When you first report a fault (for example a missed bin collection)
  • When you have concerns about an issue in the District, such as noise or public nuisance - these concerns should be directed to our Environmental Health team who will investigate
  • Where there is a statutory right of appeal - this will be the case if you are unhappy with your council tax band or you have had your planning application refused
Complain about a Councillor

For further information on how to make a complaint about a District/Parish or Town Councillor please visit the Complaints About Councillors page.

Complain about fraud

If you consider your complaint relates to fraud please look at our Whistleblowing Procedure

Customer feedback

You can send us your feedback in one of the following ways:

  • Submit your comments via the customer feedback form below
  • Use the Comment Cards (available at each of our reception points)
  • Ring our freephone number 0800 028 1432
  • Leave feedback via the "Did you find what you are looking for?" panel at the bottom of each of our web pages
Services not provided by Blaby District Council

Some of the services in the district are not provided by us, and we will not be able to investigate these complaints. Complaints concerning the following, are dealt with by Leicestershire County Council:

  • Highways, traffic or on-street parking
  • Schools and Education
  • Social Care or Adult's and Children's Services
  • Street Lighting

You can visit the Leicestershire County Council Website to find out more about their complaints procedure and to make a complaint.

Public Sewers and shared drainage matters are dealt with by Severn Trent Water. Visit their Contact Page for more information.

Complaints about allotments, cemeteries, community halls and local recreation areas should be made to your local Parish or Town Council.

Information on how to contact your Parish Council can be found on their website. A list of websites for the district is available on the Leicestershire Parish Councils page.

Last updated 26 March 2024
Do you need to get in touch with us? Use our contact form.