Freedom of Information

The Freedom of Information Act 2000 ("the Act") gives members of the public and any interested bodies the right to request official information held by public bodies, including Blaby District Council.

Please note personal and environmental information are not covered by the Act. For requests about environmental information please visit the Environmental Information page and for requests and more information about personal information please visit the Personal Information and Your Rights page.

Information available online

Our Publication Scheme provides an overview of the types of information we hold and where you can find it.

Our Open Data page contains a range of information about the Council, all of which is free to download and re-use.

If you are looking for information on a particular service, the A-Z of Services will direct you to where you can find it.

Information we do not hold

County Council Services

If your request relates to one of the services below, you will need to send it directly to Leicestershire County Council at (please note this list is not exhaustive).

  • Schools and Education
  • Highways, Roads and Transport
  • Social Services
  • Libraries
  • Parking Enforcement
  • Adoption and Fostering
  • Trading Standards

Social Housing

Our housing stock was transferred to EMH Homes (formerly Three Oaks Homes) in 2008. For all requests relating to social housing, please contact EMH Homes at

Publication Scheme

The Freedom of Information Act 2000 (FOIA) requires the council to provide a publication scheme, which is a guide to the information routinely made available to the public. Blaby District Council's publication scheme is available to download at the bottom of this page.

How to Request information

Please include a clear description of the information you require.

We will acknowledge your request upon receipt and send a response within 20 working days.

We may refuse your request for information if:

  • It is too costly to respond to
  • it is a vexatious or repeated request, or
  • one of the exemptions under the Act applies

If we do decide to refuse your request we will notify you of this and the reasons why as soon as possible.

For more information on the exemptions available under the Act, please visit the Information Commissioner's website.

Right to review

Should you be unhappy with the way your request for information was handled, you can ask for an internal review by emailing:

If you are not happy with the outcome of the review, you can apply directly to the Information Commissioner for a decision.

Fees and charges

The majority of the information we provide is free of charge. However, in some circumstances charges will be incurred for costs such as printing, postage or the provision of certain documents. A full list of charges is available below.

Last updated 3 August 2022
Do you need to get in touch with us? Use our contact form.