The Licensing office is now open by appointment only. Please click here to contact us or email 

Temporary and Occasional Use Notices

Temporary Use Notices

Temporary Use Notices allow the use of premises for gambling where there is no premises licence, but where a gambling operator wishes to use the premises to provide facilities for gambling temporarily.

A notice must be lodged with the licensing authority not less than three months and one day before the day on which the gambling event will begin together with the relevant fee.

Also, a copy of the notice must be served within seven days to:

  • The Gambling Commission
  • The Chief Officer of Police
  • HM Revenues and Customs
  • Any other licensing authority in whose area the premises are situated

The same premises may not be the subject of a temporary use notice for more than 21 days in any 12 months, but maybe the subject of several notices provided that the total does not exceed 21 days.

Occasional Use Notices

Occasional use notices are used to permit licensed betting operators (subject to permission from the Gambling Commission) to use tracks for short periods of betting at events which are temporary or infrequent.

The notices can only be used for eight days or less in a calendar year.

A notice can be served on the licensing authority if you are the person responsible for the organisation of events on the track or an occupier of the track.

The notice should specify the day which it relates to. It must be served on the licensing authority and copied to the Chief Officer of Police for the area. No fee is payable.

Consecutive days can be specified on the notice but the overall limit of eight days per the calendar year should not be exceeded. If notice is granted, you will not need to apply for a betting premises licence. When the notice is served there is no opportunity for counter-notices or objections to be submitted.

Last updated 15 March 2024
Do you need to get in touch with us? Use our contact form.