Disabled Facilities Grants

If you require a major adaptation to your home you may be eligible for a Disabled Facilities Grant. These grants cover adaptations so person with a disability can access essential facilities within their home. These adaptations include:

  • Widening doors or installing ramps
  • Installing a stairlift or through-floor lift
  • Installing a level access shower

All adaptations are recommended by an Occupational Therapist or Housing Support Co-ordinator following an assessment of your needs.


You must be the owner, named tenant (holding a qualifying tenancy) or occupier (in the case of houseboats or mobile homes) of the property to be adapted. This is not necessarily the same as the disabled person who will benefit from the adaptation. A disabled facilities grant will only be approved with the owner’s consent for the adaptation to take place. The process will vary depending on whether you own the property to be adapted or whether you are a tenant in a council property, social or private housing.

Payment and contributions

Disabled Facilities Grants for adults are means tested. It applies to the disabled person who will benefit from the adaptation (and their partner if applicable). If the disabled person or their partner receives qualifying benefits they will automatically be given a full grant to complete the recommended adaptations up to £30,000.

If the disabled person (or their partner) is not receiving one of the qualifying benefits, a means test will determine whether they are entitled to a grant for all or part of the recommended works. We will always check if you/the disabled person have received a grant before, as any previous financial contribution made can be taken in account.

Last updated 18 June 2019
Do you need to get in touch with us? Use our contact form.
A to Z of Council Services