At Risk of Being Homeless

If you are homeless now or at risk of becoming homeless, you should contact us as soon as possible.

Please read the information on this page before selecting the apply for homelessness assistance button below.

We will be able to provide advice, help and assistance if you are homeless or going to be homeless. We may be able to prevent your homelessness by talking to your landlord if you are in rent arrears or your mortgage lender if you cannot afford to keep up with your monthly payments.

If you are not able to stay in your home we may be able to help you find alternative housing either in private rented housing or social housing. If you have been served notice to leave your property by your landlord please contact us as soon as possible. You mustn't give up your accommodation if you have nowhere else to go.

If you are not becoming homeless but are worried about your housing situation you can refer yourself to our Tenancy Sustainment Officer by selecting the Apply for tenancy support button. You can get support and advice to address rent arrears, mortgage repossessions, affordability concerns, preventing evictions or dealing with neighbour disputes.

If you have an Assured Shorthold Tenancy agreement your landlord must give you a valid notice to leave and your landlord cannot legally evict you without a bailiffs warrant from the court. You can find more information about notices of eviction through the Government website in the links below.

Should you have any other type of tenancy agreement or a licence agreement, and your landlord has given you notice, then please talk to the Housing Options Team as soon as possible.

If we are unable to assist you we will refer you to the relevant supporting agencies.

Your information

When you get in touch with us about homelessness, we will share some information about your circumstances and those of your household with the Ministry of Housing, Communities and Local Government. However, it will not include any of your details (name, address, date of birth).

Any contact you make with us about homelessness will not affect your benefits, services or any treatment that you get. Your information will be anonymous in research findings and handled with care by the law.

We are sharing your information to help improve the services your household and other households receive in the future.

For more information about this, visit the Trailblazer Homelessness Prevention Project page.

MOD Tenancy Deposit Loan Scheme

The MOD's scheme allows defence personnel to apply for a loan to meet the cost of a deposit for a rental property.

If you are serving or ex-MOD personnel then we may be able to help you with the cost of moving to affordable private rented accommodation.

Rough sleeping

If you are sleeping rough or if you see someone who is sleeping rough in the district please use the contact us form at the bottom of this page or you can visit the Streetlink website.

If you need to contact us outside our office hours please call the same number as usual, 0116 272 7770, and you will be diverted to our emergency 24Hr Out of Hours Service.

Last updated 25 April 2024
Do you need to get in touch with us? Use our contact form.