Latest information, advice and support on Coronavirus

How we Deal with Noise Complaints

When a noise nuisance complaint is made we will discuss the complaint with you and request a record of the nuisance. This will be completed by filling in a diary of the times and dates of the nuisance and how it has been affecting you – this would usually be for a minimum of two weeks.

Diary sheets provide us with useful information such as the character and intensity of the noise nuisance. Most importantly, your diary may well reveal patterns relating to the duration and frequency of the noise nuisance. We will use this information to decide whether to investigate further.

If a decision is made to investigate further, this includes:

  • Visits to your property - A maximum of three visits will be made to assess for statutory nuisance
  • Taking formal statements from you and other witnesses
  • Interviewing the person responsible for the alleged nuisance
  • Serving a legal notice if the statutory nuisance is found or is likely to occur from the person responsible
  • Monitoring that the notice is being complied with. (This will involve further evidence gathering and witness statements)
  • Beginning prosecution procedures against the noisemaker if appropriate

You will be kept informed of progress throughout the process by a named officer.

If we feel that we are unable to support your complaint, or if you do not want to use our services, you can take your legal action. You are strongly advised to consult a solicitor if taking your legal action. If you do employ a solicitor make sure that you get an estimate of the likely costs first.

You may decide to take action in either the Civil or Criminal Courts. All action by ourselves is undertaken in the Criminal Courts. Civil proceedings for nuisance are not a matter for us and you should seek separate legal advice if considering a Civil nuisance action.

Last updated 17 December 2019
Do you need to get in touch with us? Use our contact form.
A to Z of Council Services