Register to Vote

Registering to vote means that you can vote in elections and referendums. The electoral register lists the names and addresses of everyone who is registered to vote. It is a legal requirement to register to vote if you are asked to do so.

If you have moved, you will need to register to vote at your new address. Paying Council Tax will not automatically register you to vote.

You can apply online by visiting the Register to Vote page on the Government website.

If you require a paper form to register or need help or advice please get in touch with the Electoral Services team using the contact form below.

Please note:

  • You cannot vote if you are not registered
  • You can register at two addresses in certain circumstances, such as students for a term-time and home address. However, you can only vote once in any election. A separate registration for each address will need to be made
  • Not being registered to vote can affect your credit score and affect your ability to get a mortgage


You need to be included on the register if you are:

  • 18 years old and over
  • British, Irish, European or qualifying Commonwealth citizen
  • 16 and 17 year olds (although you will not be able to vote until you are 18 years old)
  • residing within Blaby District

Voting in an election

You will be sent a poll card before an election with information about the election and your polling station. You do not need to take the polling card with you to be able to vote but it will make the process of voting easier.

If you are unable to get to your polling station on election day you may apply for a postal vote or proxy vote.

If you would like to request a postal application form please complete our online form below.

Overseas Voters

Any British citizen living overseas can be registered to vote in the UK in general elections, referendums and European elections for 15 years after they were last on the electoral register. Overseas voters are not allowed to vote in local or mayoral elections.

Follow the 'Register to Vote' link above to register.

Anonymous Registration

If you are concerned about your safety then there is a different process to register anonymously. More information is available on the anonymous registration link at the bottom of the page. 

Am I already on the Electoral Register?

To find out if you are registered to vote, contact our Electoral Services team by filling in the contact us form at the bottom of the page.

Last updated 19 January 2023
Do you need to get in touch with us? Use our contact form.