Coronavirus: information and advice.


Due to essential maintenance, online Council Tax services will be unavailable on Saturday 4 December between 4–11pm. We apologise for any inconvenience this may cause.

Garden Waste subscriptions are now closed until 1 January 2022

How do I subscribe or renew?

From 1 January you will be able to order a new subscription sticker for your garden waste bin.

To make sure you have a new sticker before the new subscription year begins on 1 April, order yours as early as possible.

  • New and existing customers not paying by direct debit can subscribe on this page from the 1 January
  • You need to subscribe annually for garden waste collections
  • Existing direct debit customers do not need to do anything, payment will be collected on 1 March
  • The subscription period is from 01 April to 31 March. There are no pro-rata reductions for ‘in year’ payments
  • Payment is taken in advance by credit/debit card or direct debit
  • Once paid we will send you a sticker which you can affix to your bin immediately
  • Only bins with valid stickers will be emptied


Terms and conditions

By agreeing to pay for the above service, the resident(s) (you) will be accepting the terms and conditions below:

You have agreed to pay Blaby District Council (Blaby District Council) to collect compostable garden waste that has been placed in a brown lidded garden waste wheeled bin. The service is provided fortnightly between March and November, and monthly between December and February.

The subscription period for the service is fixed between the dates of April 1 to March 31.

Payment is required each year in advance of receiving the service. Once payment is received, a valid subscription sticker will be issued within 10 working days. This sticker should be affixed beneath the handles of the brown lidded garden waste bin. Only upon receiving and affixing the sticker will the bin become eligible for service. Therefore, only bins displaying a valid subscription sticker will be emptied.

Pro-rata payments for the service are not available. If purchasing the service part way through the fixed subscription period there will be no reductions to the annual price of the service.

If you move house within the district you will be entitled to transfer your subscription to your new home. You will need to contact us in order to do this using the details below. Please do not take your bin with you to your new home. Blaby District Council will arrange for a bin to be delivered (if required) and send a replacement subscription sticker that displays your new address.

Subscription payment refunds will not be provided (in full or in part) where:

  • You move out of the district at any time
  • Blaby District Council miss the collection of your garden waste bin (we may return to empty your bin if it is found that we were at fault)
  • Where waste in a bin is frozen or heavily compacted to such an extent that it won’t fall out of the bin when turned on the vehicle lift mechanism
  • You stop using the service for any reason

Brown lidded garden waste bins must only be used to dispose of compostable garden waste. Acceptable materials are listed on the webpage below, and on the subscription sticker which is sent to you. Collection crews will not collect waste from any bin that contains unsuitable material and will log the issue. In this instance, no return collections will be possible until your next scheduled collection and once any non-accepted items have been removed.

Compostable garden waste can be heavy. If the weight of a bin is not at a safe and manageable level for the collection crew (usually due to the material being compacted and/or wet) then the collection will be rejected and logged. No return collections will be possible until your next scheduled collection, and some of the material will need to be removed by you in order to reach a safe and manageable weight.

Your brown lidded garden waste bin should be presented for service by 7 am on the scheduled collection day and be clearly visible and accessible next to the edge of the public highway (pavement).

All bins will remain the property of Blaby District Council at all times. If your bin becomes damaged as a result of wear and tear or during collection operations, Blaby District Council will replace or repair the bin at no charge. Please report bin damage to the council

Blaby District Council will retain the right to suspend or reschedule garden waste collections should it becomes necessary due to factors beyond its control that prevent safe operations from taking place such as severe weather conditions.

For replacement of damaged or missing bins please visit our Replacement Bins Page.

If you have mobility or health issues you can request the Assisted Collections service to help you with your bin on collection day. 

What can I put in my garden waste bin?

We take all collected garden waste to local farmers, where it is composted and used on their own land.

The materials below can all be placed in your garden waste bin.

Garden bins - Accepted items

  • Grass and hedge cuttings
  • Twigs and small branches
  • Weeds with soil shaken off
  • Flowers and plants
  • Leaves and bark

The materials below are examples of material that cannot be composted by local farmers and therefore cannot be placed in your garden waste bin.

Garden bins - Examples of items not accepted

  • Any food waste
  • Any plastic (including bags)
  • Hard-core and soil
  • General refuse
  • Animal waste
Christmas trees

We can collect your Christmas tree as part of your garden waste subscription. So that the collection team can safely handle and load the trees onto the vehicle;

  • Please ensure that the tree could fit into your bin if the bin were empty.
  • Larger trees should be reduced/cut so that they are no bigger than the dimensions of your bin.
If you're moving house

Moving within the district

When moving within the district, please leave your garden waste bin at your old property. You will need to inform us when you have moved house so we can organise the delivery of a new garden bin to you and update our records to make sure the invoice is going to the correct address. Tell us you're moving house.

Moving out of the district

If you move out of the district, we will no longer collect your garden waste. Please leave your bin at the property you are leaving. Please ensure to cancel your Direct Debit instruction with your bank as we do not offer refunds for this service.

Garden waste collection dates

Please enter your postcode below

Last updated 2 December 2021
Do you need to get in touch with us? Use our contact form.
A to Z of Council Services