The Licensing office is now open by appointment only. Please click here to contact us or email 

Personal Alcohol Licence

A personal licence allows individuals to supply alcohol where a premises licence or temporary event notice is in place. All premises that hold a premises licence must also have a designated premises supervisor, who must be a personal licence holder.

Anybody over the age of 18 who hasn’t had a personal licence forfeited in the past five years can apply to be a personal licence holder.

You can apply by completing the application forms and returning to the Licensing Department with the relevant documentation. If the criminal record check is free from any relevant conviction, the personal licence will be granted.

If there are any relevant convictions the Police will be notified and will be able to make representations against the grant of the licence if they believe approval will undermine the licensing objectives. If you have any unspent convictions, you can contact the Licensing Department at Leicestershire Police to discuss your application.

Personal licences do not have an expiry date. For any personal licences granted before April 2015 which originally had an expiry date, the expiry date no longer applies.

There are several duties placed on a personal licence holder. More details can be found in Personal Licence Holder Duties below.

It is our legal responsibility to ensure all applicants have the right to live and work in the UK before granting a licence. You will be required to prove that you have these rights and provide relevant documentation with your application.


To apply for a personal licence, please submit the following to the Licensing Department:

  • Fully completed application form
  • Fully completed Disclosure of Convictions and Declaration form
  • A fee of £37 (payment can be made by a cheque payable to Blaby District Council or over the phone)
  • Original or certified copy of the Level 2 qualification for personal licence holders (details of accredited qualification providers can be found below in external links)
  • Two passport-sized photographs, one of which is endorsed as a true likeness of you by a solicitor, person of standing within the community or anyone with a professional qualification
  • Original basic criminal record check certificate less than one-month-old from the date of issue
  • Proof of your Immigration Status (a list of acceptable documents can be found within the notes at the end of the application form)
Last updated 3 October 2023
Do you need to get in touch with us? Use our contact form.