Industrial Pollution

How to report water pollution

The Environment Agency is the best contact to report any water pollution or water-related incidents on their 24-hour service.

Telephone: 0800 807060

Industrial Pollution

In order to prevent pollution, we have a responsibility for regulating certain industrial activities that use or emit particular substances. These industrial activities must legally operate under a permit under the Environmental Permitting Regulations 2016

The permit sets out conditions that the operator must comply with. When an application for a permit is received, it is our job to:

  • Process the application to either grant or refuse
  • Review and inspect pollution permits and their permitted installations
  • Ensure permitted installations are compliant with the permit granted and take necessary action if standards fall below the permit conditions
  • Maintain a public register of permitted processes

The types of installations requiring a permit fall into three different categories.

Part 1A Installations are for the most polluting industries, such as power stations and landfill sites - This is regulated by the Environment Agency.

Part A2 Installations have a duty to protect the environment from emissions to air, water and land, including surface coating of vehicles in large volumes - This is regulated by Blaby District Council.  

Part B Installations have a duty to protect the environment from emissions to air, including dry cleaners, petrol stations and car re-sprayers - This is regulated by Blaby District Council.

Contact the Environmental Services team at the bottom of the form to find out more about applying for the appropriate permit in the district.

Environmental Permit

Our Environmental Services team inspect all processes which have the potential to cause air pollution, vehicle re-spraying, concrete production and unloading of petrol. These are known as Part A2 installations and Part B installations.

The list of these processes registered in the district can be found on the Environmental Permits Public Register on the Open Data page.

A permit must be applied for if operating an installation under the Part A2 and/or Part B regulations. You can make an application for a permit to us in the following ways:

  • Visit the Local Authority Pollution Control section of the Government's website, which contains guidance notes and the application form you need
  • Please complete the application form and return it to us with the relevant fee. The fees payable are available by downloading the Fees and Charges guidance below

Once the application is received we will process it. If we find it is not valid or incomplete, it will be returned to you. Please note you will need planning permission for the process you would like to undertake before an application can be granted.

We will contact you to discuss the proposal and arrange a site visit. Following the application and site visit the application will be issued or refused.

Last updated 21 August 2023
Do you need to get in touch with us? Use our contact form.