Types of Elections

Elections in the district take place for various reasons, whether for local interests (Parish, District or County Councils) or national interests (General Elections or Referendums).

District and Parish Council Elections

District and Parish Council elections are held on the first Thursday in May, once every four years. The most recent elections were held on the 04 May 2023.

The District of Blaby is made up of 17 Wards, with between one and three councillors for each ward. There are a total of 36 seats.

There are 24 Parishes in Blaby District, of which 20 have Parish Councils with elected councillors chosen every four years. These elections are held at the same time as the District elections. There are a total of 239 seats.

County Council Elections

County Council elections are held on the first Thursday in May, once every four years. The last elections were held on 06 May 2021.

Blaby District is split over seven divisions. Six of these divisions are represented by one Councillor each. The Glenfield, Kirby Muxloe and Leicester Forests division is represented by two Councillors.

Parliamentary General Election

Parliamentary elections are held after Parliament is dissolved. The maximum term of office of a Government is five years, although elections can be held before that time has expired. The last date that the next general election may be held is 28 January 2025.

Blaby District is split between two Parliamentary Constituencies, South Leicestershire and Charnwood, each represented by one member of Parliament (MP).

Police and Crime Commissioner Elections

Police and Crime Commissioner Elections (PCC Elections) are held once every 4 years. The next election due to take place is on 2 May 2024.

Voters in 41 police force areas in England and Wales, excluding London, elect a Police and Crime Commissioner for their force area.

Last updated 8 September 2023
Do you need to get in touch with us? Use our contact form.