You can appeal if you think your Council Tax is wrong. You should, however, continue to pay your original bill whilst your appeal is pending.

How to make an appeal

Your appeal should be made in writing to us stating:

  • Who you are
  • Where you live
  • Details of what decision you are appealing against

The Council then has two months to consider your comments. If it rejects your arguments and you are not satisfied with this judgment, or fails to reply within the two months, you can appeal to a Valuation Tribunal.

Any appeal to the Valuation Tribunal must be made within two months of receiving a reply from the Council or four months from the date of your original appeal.

Your appeal to the Valuation Tribunal should be made in writing, stating the decision you are appealing against and why.

The address of your local Valuation Tribunal is:

Doncaster Valuation Tribunal
3rd Floor
Cossgate House
Wood Street

If you and all other parties agree, your case can be dealt with in writing. If this cannot be resolved in writing the Tribunal will contact you to make arrangements for a formal hearing and will provide you with information explaining the procedures in detail.

A hearing usually lasts no longer than a day and will not cost you anything, unless you decide to employ a solicitor to represent your case for you.

If the Tribunal decides in your favour the Council will revise your bill and adjust any necessary payments or details.

If the Tribunal decides in the Councils favour, then payments should be made immediately to bring the account up to date.

Last updated 8 August 2023
Do you need to get in touch with us? Use our contact form.