Single Person Discount

Your full Council Tax bill is based on at least two adults living in a property.

If you are the only person over 18 years old who lives in your home, you may be entitled to a discount of 25%.

If your request is successful your account will be updated, with a revised Demand Notice issued to you.

Once your child reaches the age of 18 years of age you are no longer eligible for Single Person Discount.

If your child is in full-time education you may qualify for a Student Disregard, which is a 25% discount.  You will need to contact the Student Services department at your child's place of study, who will issue a Council Tax Student Certificate. Please forward this to us for your discount to be awarded.

If your child is starting an apprenticeship there is a 25% disregard, proving the qualifying criteria are met, please refer to the 'Other discounts' page.

Anyone who is on holiday/travelling or working away from home is regarded as a temporary absence. This means the remaining person in the property is not eligible for the single person discount.

If there is a change in your circumstances which affects this discount, you must notify the Council Tax Team within 21 days of the change.  Failure to supply or knowingly supply false or misleading information will render you liable to a Penalty of £70.00 and possible further prosecution under the Local Government Finance Act 1992.

If you need to cancel your Single Person's Discount, please contact the Council Tax Team.

Last updated 29 September 2023
Do you need to get in touch with us? Use our contact form.
Related pages