Exemptions from Paying

The following cases are exempt from paying Council Tax:

  • Halls of residence – the property will be exempt if it is lived in mainly by students and owned or managed by an educational establishment
  • A property that is solely occupied by students, school or college leavers, aged 18 or over, either in full-time or term-time accommodation
  • Armed forces accommodation – the property will be exempt if it is held to provide armed forces accommodation (houses, barracks, mess and married quarters)
  • Visiting armed forces accommodation – a property will be exempt if it is lived in by a person with a relevant association to a visiting force
  • Empty caravan pitches or houseboat moorings – a dwelling made up of a pitch or a mooring which is not occupied by a caravan or a boat
  • A property that is occupied only by people under the age of 18
  • A property with at least two separate dwellings and occupied by a dependent relative, for example, a 'granny flat'
  •  A self contained part of the property, or annexe, where the resident is a dependent relative of the person(s) living in the main part of the property and is aged 65 years or over, disabled or severely mentally impaired
  • Solely occupied by people who are severely mentally impaired
  • At least one liable person has diplomatic, commonwealth or consular privilege or immunity – a property lived in by a diplomat

If you meet any of the above criteria, please contact the Council Tax Team who will be able to provide you with further information.

Application Forms

If the property is solely occupied by people who are severely mentally impaired, please download the below form.

Last updated 29 September 2023
Do you need to get in touch with us? Use our contact form.