Universal Credit

Universal Credit replaces the following benefits:

  • Jobseeker's allowance (income-based)
  • Income-related employment and support allowance
  • Income support
  • Child tax credit
  • Working tax credit
  • Housing benefit for those of working age

Universal Credit is run by the Department for Works and Pensions. If you have difficulty applying online please contact the Universal Credit Services Centre on 0800 328 5644.

What you need for Universal Credit

  • A bank or building society account that can receive payments
  • If you have a partner and you are both eligible to claim Universal Credit, decide who will receive the single monthly payment you will get
  • An email address
  • Access to the internet: if you do not have internet access at home you will need to visit your local JobCentre Plus office, Library or advice agency such as Citizens Advice or here at the Council Offices

When Universal Credit is awarded you will need to set up Direct Debits from your bank account to help manage your rent and to draw up a budget.

Getting into credit on your rent account now could help you avoid rent arrears in the future. Paying a little extra each week can help safeguard against unwanted future arrears.

Council Tax Support

If you want help to pay your Council Tax you will still have to apply for Council Tax Support from Blaby District Council.

Last updated 29 September 2023
Do you need to get in touch with us? Use our contact form.