How to Claim

The amount of benefit you get depends on the level of your capital and income, together with your circumstances.

Claiming help towards your rent

If you are of working age you will need to claim Universal Credit for help towards your rent unless you fall into one of these categories:

  • You are a pensioner
  • You live in exempt accommodation
  • Have been placed in temporary accommodation by our Housing Options Team

Find out more by visiting the Universal Credit website link at the bottom of the page.

Citizens Advice Leicestershire can support you to make a new claim for Universal Credit, from opening your account to receiving your first payment. You can find the link below.

Claiming Council Tax Support

If you wish to apply for help towards your Council Tax charge you will need to claim Council Tax Support, even if you receive Universal Credit.

To claim Council Tax Support, and help towards your rent if you fall into one of the categories above, please complete the form below.

You will need to provide evidence to support your claim by:

  • Uploading the information when filling in the online form
  • Email the information
  • Posting the information to the Council's Offices
  • Please post your documents to us. Please be careful about sending valuable documents like a passport through the post. Please ensure that you put the correct postage on any packages so that the information reaches us

Home visits

In exceptional circumstances for instance, if you are ill or have mobility problems, we can arrange a home visit. If you do have a home visit please ensure that all the supporting documentation for your claim is available. Please contact us to arrange this.

Notification Letters

We have created an explanation leaflet to help you understand your housing benefit notification letters. You can download the leaflet below.

Last updated 22 November 2021
Do you need to get in touch with us? Use our contact form.