Backdated Claims

Anyone who qualifies for State Pension Credit will automatically qualify for both Housing Benefit or Council Tax Support for up to three months prior to the date you made your claim.

The maximum period that a Housing Benefit and Council Tax Support claim can be backdated for someone of working age is one month.

You will need to provide evidence of your income and capital and circumstances for the period of your backdating request. Backdated claims will normally be processed on Monday after we receive your application form.

Backdated claims must show 'good cause' for why you did not apply earlier, which must have existed continuously during the period of your backdated request. Reasons for this may include:

  • Not immediately claiming after leaving the hospital
  • Being ill with no-one to make a claim on your behalf
  • Not understanding that you could claim benefit due to age or language difficulties
  • Suffering a recent family bereavement
Last updated 29 September 2023
Do you need to get in touch with us? Use our contact form.