The Licensing office is now open by appointment only. Please click here to contact us or email 

Taxi and Private Hire Licences

We are responsible for the licensing of the following within the District of Blaby:

  • Private Hire Operators
  • Private Hire Drivers
  • Private Hire Vehicles
  • Hackney Carriage Vehicles
  • Hackney Carriage Drivers
  • Dual Drivers

If you wish to work in Blaby District as a hackney carriage driver or private hire driver you will need to obtain a licence from us. The first step in this process is to take our knowledge test. Please find below a step-by-step guide to obtaining a licence. All licences are granted in line with our Fit and Proper Person Policy (this can be found below in downloads) and new applicants should familiarise themselves with the requirements of this policy before taking the first steps to become licensed.

With the introduction of The Immigration Act 2016, the Council is now under a legal duty to ensure all applicants have the right to live and work in the UK. You will be required to prove that you have these rights before being licensed for either a first grant or renewal.

For Home Office Acceptable Documents please view the External links panel at the bottom of the page. 

Operator licensing

Operator licensing application requirements

To submit an Operator application you will need to provide:

  • Fully completed application form
  • Evidence of right to work in the UK - for acceptable documents please see the External Links panel at the bottom of the page
  • Basic Criminal record check - if you are not already licensed as a Driver, you will need to provide a basic DBS. If you are applying as a limited company, then all directors will need to provide this
  • Planning Permission - you will need to provide planning permission from the relevant local authority or a letter indicating that planning permission is not required
  • HMRC check code - applicants who are not currently licensed as an Operator, with any local authority, do not need to supply this. The link below will help you provide this check code

Once you have submitted a full and complete application, this will be validated and determined by an Officer who will then contact you over the phone for payment. 

Driver licensing

The first step to becoming licensed is to complete the knowledge test. Information about this can be found below.

Driver licensing application requirements

Once you have passed the knowledge test and proved your immigration status you will receive an application pack. To apply for a Private Hire, Hackney Carriage or Dual Driver's Licence you will need to provide:

  • Fully completed application form – by signing the application form you are accepting that you have read, understood and accepted our policies and conditions. You are also authorising Blaby District Council to produce a DVLA 'share' code to access your DVLA driving record for the full period of the licence
  • Medical form – this needs to be completed by a qualified medical practitioner. Any fee is payable directly by the applicant to the medical practitioner. Medical forms are required every 5 years, unless the applicant is either older than 65 years or has Insulin treated Diabetes. In this case, a medical is required annually
  • Practical Taxi driving test certificate – if you have already completed a Practical Taxi driving test, we may accept existing certificates. If not, you can book your practical driving test directly with Diamond at the link below
  • Enhanced DBS certificate - this can be applied for through TaxiPlus at the link below. The certificate must be registered with the Update Service. Information about the Online Update Service can be found at the link below
  • Recent passport sized photograph
  • Original DVLA driving licence (photo card)
  • HMRC tax check code (renewal and previously licensed drivers only) – if you are renewing a current taxi driver’s licence or if you are currently licensed elsewhere, you will need to provide a HMRC code

National Register of Taxi Licensing Refusals and Revocations

Blaby District Council uses the NR3 (National Register of Taxi Licence Refusals and Revocations) by providing information and checking the register as part of new and renewal applications. Therefore, as part of the application, the NR3 will be checked for existing records matching information supplied by you. If a driver’s licence is refused or revoked, this decision will be recorded to the NR3. By signing and submitting the application form, you are consenting to this.

Vehicle licensing

Only hackney carriages can be hired from an appointed stand (currently there are none in the district) or hailed in the street within Blaby District boundaries. A private hire vehicle may only make journeys that are pre-booked with a private hire operator.

Blaby District Council will only license new vehicles which are under five years old. Any vehicles older than five years, according to the date of first registration, will not be eligible. Once a vehicle is licensed with Blaby, it can continue to be licensed until it is ten years old. After this, vehicles will not be considered for renewal licences. 

Vehicle licensing application requirements

To submit a vehicle application, you will need to provide:

  • Fully completed application form
  • Passed mechanical test at Blaby District Council depot
  • Original vehicle registration document or bill of sale if it is newly bought
  • Valid MOT certificate
  • Valid insurance certificate (authorising either Private or Public Hire work)
  • Meter calibration certificate (Hackney Carriage vehicles only)

To make a mechanical test booking, please contact Licensing. 

Knowledge test

To make an appointment and pay to complete the knowledge test, please contact the Licensing Department. The fee is payable in advance and can be found in the table of fees under downloads.

The test consists of multiple choice questions, lasts approximately 45 minutes and is split into several sections, these are:

  • Receipt writing – you are required to write a receipt for information read out at the start of the test
  • Legislation – the laws surrounding Private Hire and Hackney Carriage licences. Relevant legislation are the Local Government (Miscellaneous Provisions) Act 1976, Part II and the Town Police Clauses Act 1847
  • Our conditions – Blaby District Council conditions and policies
  • Locations – you will be given a map of Blaby District and asked to identify the locations of certain towns/villages
  • Change due – simple maths questions to calculate the change due to customers
  • Highway code – questions on the Highway code
  • Shortest routes (Hackney Carriage and Dual drivers only) - you will need to identify the shortest route between two locations from two options

To pass the test, candidates are required to obtain a pass mark of 80% in all sections. Candidates will not be allowed to ask questions or refer to their notes whilst taking the test.

The price of the test can be found in the table of fees. Candidates are able to attempt the test on three separate occasions. If a candidate fails to pass the test on the third attempt, they will not be eligible to take another test for 12 months from the last test date.

Please ensure you bring your right to work document to the Knowledge Test. For Acceptable Documents please view the External links panel at the bottom of the page.

Refund policy

If a licence is surrendered before its expiry date, the Council will issue a pro rata refund based on the number of whole months left for vehicle licence surrenders and whole years left for driver and operator licence surrenders. An administration cost will be deducted. A refund for less than £20 will not be processed.

To request a refund, you must return your licence to the Council surrendering the licence in writing and requesting a refund.

Licence display

Vehicles licensed by Blaby District Council must:

  • Display a yellow plate on the rear exterior & interior (private hire)
  • Display a white plate on the rear exterior & interior (Hackney Carriage)

Drivers must wear, in a prominent position, an ID badge issued by the Council which includes his/her photograph and the licence expiry date. Private Hire badges are yellow, Hackney Carriage badges are white and Dual badges, which can be used to drive both Private Hire and Hackney Carriage vehicles, are blue.

If you are concerned about the legitimacy of a licensed vehicle please contact us. Information on current licences can also be viewed on our public register.

Vehicle licence applications

You can now apply for a vehicle licence online. The below online form can be completed and supporting documents uploaded. You will still need to contact Licensing to book in for the mechanical inspection. 

Last updated 26 April 2024
Do you need to get in touch with us? Use our contact form.