What are MEES regulations?

Minimum Energy Efficiency Standards (MEES) Regulations were introduced by Government in 2018. The aim of the regulations is to improve energy efficiency, comfort and conditions in the private rented sector, whilst also reducing fuel poverty for tenants. To do this the regulations set a minimum energy efficiency level for privately rented properties.

These regulations apply to all private rented properties that are let on specific types of tenancy agreement and are legally required to have an Energy Performance Certificate (EPC).

Landlords must not continue to let a substandard residential property with an Energy Performance Certificate (EPC) rating of F or G. Energy efficiency improvements must be made to these properties.

The government has issued guidance for landlords and a link to this document can be found at the bottom of this page.

What is an EPC?

EPC is an Energy Performance Certificate.  Once your property has a valid EPC it will be published on the gov.uk public register. 

The EPC provides information about a property’s energy use, typical energy costs and recommendations about how to reduce energy use and save money. It rates a properties energy efficiency from A most efficient to G Least efficient. An EPC is valid for 10 years, any property being let must have a valid EPC.

Landlords must have a valid EPC and provide a copy of it to occupants at the start of a tenancy, unless the property is exempt from the requirements.

What are landlords responsibilities?

Since 1st April 2020, Landlords can no longer let or continue to let properties covered by the MEES Regulations if they have an EPC rating below E, unless they have a valid exemption in place.

If you are planning to rent out a property that has an F or G rating, improvements must be made to bring the rating up to a minimum of E before the tenancy starts, or an exemption must be registered.

If the energy rating is F or G, landlords must make improvements to the property to bring it into compliance. If the costs of works required to bring the property up to at least an E rating exceed £3500 including VAT, the landlord can register an exemption after completion of the works up to that amount.  However, landlords who are implementing relevant energy efficiency improvements are encouraged to target above and beyond the current cap and minimum requirements of an E rating.

Recommendations for energy efficiency improvements can be found on the EPC for the property and these can range from upgrading a heating system, installing new insulation including in the loft or walls, double glazing, covering hot water cylinders or fitting energy efficient light bulbs.


What is Blaby District Council doing?

The Council is investigating any potential breaches of the MEES regulations and enforcement action will be considered against landlords that fail to bring their property up to the required standard.

Non-compliance with MEES can attract a financial penalty of up to £5,000.  If you believe a property is being rented out that does not meet the regulations, you can let us know by emailing environmental.health@blaby.gov.uk.

Alongside the MEES Regulations, The Housing Act 2004 gives Local Authorities the power to enforce minimum Housing Standards in the private rented sector using the Housing Health and Safety Rating System (HHSRS).

Therefore even if a property meets an EPC Rating of E or above, landlords will need to provide adequate heating and thermal comfort. Local Authorities can issue penalties of up to £30,000 when hazards such as excess cold are identified in a property.

Are some properties exempt from MEES?

There are a range of exemptions available, and if applicable they should be registered, and evidence provided. Landlords are expected to spend up to £3500 to increase the standard of the property up to a minimum of an E rated EPC. Exemptions could include if the works cost over £3500, if permission by a freeholder or tenants is refused or if improvements would be detrimental to the character of the property. Guidance on all exemptions can be found on the link at the bottom of this page.

If a landlord fails to correctly register an exemption they may be subject to enforcement action from the Council which could result in financial penalties.



Is there any assistance to help landlords improve their properties?

In some circumstances funding may be available to cover the cost or provide a contribution to the improvement works. This funding is available through different providers. You may want to explore the different areas of funding before starting any improvement works. 

The following page Energy Efficiency Advice and Grants has some information on advice and grants that may be available to either the tenant or the landlord. 

Last updated 5 March 2024
Do you need to get in touch with us? Use our contact form.