Gypsy and Traveller Sites

Leicestershire County Council manage the permanent travellers' sites within the Blaby District Council area. We are able to deal with unauthorised encampments on council owned land.

For unauthorised encampments are on private land the landowner is best placed to deal with this. Encampments on land owned by gypsies or travellers themselves will require planning permission.

The travelling community has been a traditional part of rural life for many years and we have granted planning permission for a number of authorised sites across the district. This has enabled travellers on legitimate sites to gain access to education and health facilities and integrate with the local community.

Leicestershire County Council's website has a list of key contacts, which aims to minimise conflict and provide access to health and education services, through the consistent application of best practice, legislation and guidance.

Last updated 10 September 2019
Do you need to get in touch with us? Use our contact form.
A to Z of Council Services