Standing for Election

Am I eligible to stand for election?

To stand for election, on the day of nomination, you must be:

  • 18 or over
  • Be a UK, EU or Commonwealth citizen

You must meet at least one of the following qualifications: 

  • Be registered to vote as a local government elector in the area
  • Occupied as owner or tenant any land or other premises in the local authority area
  • Your main or only place of work is in the local authority area
  • Live in the local authority area 

You cannot stand if:

  • You work for the Council
  • You hold a politically restricted post for another local authority
  • You are bankrupt
  • You have served a prison sentence (including suspended sentences) of 3 months or more within 5 years before the election
  • You have been disqualified under any legislation relating to corrupt or illegal electoral practices

Standing as a Councillor for a political party

The majority of people become Councillors as a result of joining a political party.

However, you do not need to be a member of a political party to stand as a Councillor. You will be classed as an independent. 

If you are thinking of standing as a candidate for a particular political party then you will need to be a member of that party's local organisation.

What do I do next?

You will need to complete and submit a valid nomination form in order to stand for election. 

Nomination forms can be found on the Electoral Commission website, or a pack can be requested from the Electoral Services office. 

For more information, and to receive a nomination pack, please contact the Electoral Services team using the contact form below. 

The independent group of the Local Government Association (LGA) has also prepared a helpful guide for Councillors and candidates (please see below).

Last updated 21 November 2023
Do you need to get in touch with us? Use our contact form.