Coronavirus pandemic

Coronavirus: information and advice.

Test and trace support payment

The new self-isolation law

We are all working hard to keep each other safe and stop the spread of COVID-19 by covering our faces, keeping our distance, washing our hands and following national guidance.

From 28 September 2020, to further stop the spread, you will be required by law to self-isolate if you test positive for COVID-19, or if you are identified as having been in contact with someone who has tested positive by the NHS Test and Trace scheme.

What will happen if I don't self-isolate?

If you do not self-isolate, there is a fine of £1,000 for breaching self-isolation rules, but this could increase to up to £10,000 for repeat offences and serious breaches, including if you prevent others from self-isolating (for example, if you own a business and threaten self-isolating staff with redundancy if they do not go to work).

Test and trace support payment scheme

To support residents whose earnings are affected by staying at home and isolating for 10 days, the government has set up the Test and Trace Support Payment scheme. Where eligible, residents can apply to their local council for a support payment of £500.

The scheme launched on 28 September 2020.  Eligible residents who start to self-isolate from 28 September are now able to apply using the link below.

Am I eligible for a support payment?

If you have been told by the NHS to self-isolate, either because you have tested positive for COVID-19 or you have been in contact with someone who has tested positive, you may be eligible to apply for a test and trace support payment.
To be eligible for the scheme, you must be a Blaby District Council resident and be able to meet all of the following criteria:

  • You must have been asked to self-isolate by NHS Test and Trace, either because you have tested positive for COVID-19 or have recently been in close contact with someone who has tested positive, and has been given a test and trace number or be a parent or guardian who has to stay off work to look after a child who is self-isolating
  • You must have responded to messages from NHS Test and Trace (which you will have received via a combination of email, text, letter, or phone call), and provided your contact details, where you tested positive, and details of your contacts
  • You must be employed or self-employed
  • You must be unable to work from home and will lose income as a result of having to stay at home and self-isolate
  • You must be currently receiving one or more of the following: Universal Credit, Working Tax Credit, Income-based Employment and Support Allowance, Income-based Jobseeker’s allowance, Income Support, Housing Benefit (but not Council Tax Support) and/or Pension Credit
  • The Council has been allocated additional funds so that we can support people who do not meet the government’s eligibility criteria. This is called a discretionary fund which is cash limited. Details of the discretionary eligibility criteria are explained at 4.3 onwards of the Test and Trace Support Scheme Document in the link below

Who is not eligible?

You will not be eligible for the scheme if you:

  • Are quarantining after travelling abroad (unless you test positive during the 10-day quarantine period)
  • Continue to receive full wages while you self-isolate
  • Can work from home during a period of self-isolation
  • Are no longer required to self-isolate, that is, your period of self-isolation ended before the self-isolation payment scheme launched (28 September 2020)
  • Have not received a notification from NHS Test and Trace telling you to self-isolate

How can I apply?

Applications will need to be made by this website using the link below or by contacting us during office hours.   

It is important that you look at the supporting documents on this page for the Privacy Policy as we will need to make checks to validate your information, this includes contacting the NHS Track and Trace Service.  

For more information about the scheme please read our Blaby District Council Test and Trace Support Payments and Discretionary Scheme document, available to download below.

For more details about how we use your information please read the Privacy Notice NHS for Self Isolation Payments document.

Last updated 3 March 2021
Do you need to get in touch with us? Use our contact form.
A to Z of Council Services