Coronavirus: information and advice.


Please note: our offices remain closed to the public, except by appointment.

Application Advice

Most work involving alterations to buildings will require planning permission, building regulation approval, or both before work can begin.

The Building Regulations are a set of rules with which owners/developers are legally obliged to comply in the interest of public health and safety and they are supported by a set of “Approved Documents.”

If you are planning to carry out any of the following work then a Building Regulations application is required:

  • New dwellings, alterations, extensions and conversions
  • Virtually all alterations to commercial buildings
  • Minor alterations such as the installation of additional bathroom fittings and associated drainage, changes of use, garage conversions, loft conversions and unvented boiler systems
  • Renovation to a thermal element including roofs or external walls

The following may not require building regulation approval. It is recommended to check with Building Control to confirm this.

  • Replacement windows
  • Replacing features like for like
  • Installing thermal insulation
  • Balanced flues
  • Lining a flue
  • Attached conservatories, porches, greenhouses, carports and covered areas
  • Detached garages and garden sheds

Satisfactory applications after submission are usually approved within three weeks of deposit. Notifiable inspections are normally dealt with within 24 hours and same-day inspections can usually be provided if notification is received before 10.00 a.m.

Building regulation approval remains valid for three years. You can apply for an extension if required.

Please note:

Please note that the granting of Building Regulations Approval does not convey nor imply any Approval under the Town and Country Planning Acts. You are advised that Planning Permission may be required for these works.

The documents below have information that may help with the work you are looking to undertake

Last updated 7 January 2020
Do you need to get in touch with us? Use our contact form.
Related pages
A to Z of Council Services