Demolition control and advice - Blaby District Council

Due to essential maintenance being carried out online council tax services are currently unavailable. We apologise for any inconvenience.

Skip To Content


Demolition control and advice


Owners wishing to demolish a building must give notice to the local authority under Section 80 of The Building Act 1984 and pay the relevant charge.  If all is satisfactory Building Control will issue a consent notice with a schedule of requirements including termination of services. When demolition has taken place the site should be cleared and made safe.

How to notify the Council

Click on the button below or...

  1. See printable forms below to complete the Demolitions Notification form.
  2. A Demolitions Notification form can also be obtained from Building Control – contact details at the foot of this page
  3. A location plan of the building and adjoining streets must be provided together with a method statement for the demolition of larger buildings. Statutory undertakers should also be notified in order that they may arrange for their services to be properly sealed.
  4. For application charges please refer to the Scheme for the Recovery of Building Regulation Charges and Associated Matters dated 1/4/2012 (updated 1/04/2013).

Printable forms

Demolition notification form

Demolition Application Charges

Further information

Greenhouses, conservatories, prefabricated garages and sheds do not require permission to be demolished. Usually, if the building to be demolished has a volume of less than 1750 cubic feet (49.56 cubic metres) then permission is not required to knock it down.

Building or demolition works can cause problems for neighbours of the site. You can reduce or avoid causing any nuisance to the neighbours, or action being taken by the Council, if you follow this advice.

Tell the Council and the neighbours

  • Give the Local Authority 6 weeks notice of demolition work. The Council may impose some conditions about how the work should be done.
  • Send a letter to the neighbours before work starts, telling them about the work and what to expect. Give the neighbours a contact name and telephone number and keep them informed.
  • Deal promptly with any complaints received on site.

Keep dust, noise and smoke to a minimum

  • Dust: Keep dust down by spraying with water when and where you can.
  • Noise: There should be no noise heard from the site outside these hours:
    07.30 – 18.00 hrs Monday to Friday and 08.00 – 13.00 hrs Saturday

Particularly noisy operations (for example Pile Driving) may need more stringent controls. Pumps and generators should not be left running overnight if they can be heard outside the site.

If noise problems occur, the Council and the neighbours can take legal action. If you think your work may cause a significant nuisance to the neighbours from noise or vibration, apply for “prior consent” from the Council who will allow a certain level of noise to occur.

  • Smoke:
    • Bonfires that release “dark smoke” are illegal and the Council will prosecute any offenders.
    • Advice about bonfires is available from the Local Authority. 
    • Stop the bonfire at the end of the working day.
    • Bonfires that cause smoke or odour nuisance to residents should be avoided. Enforcement action can be taken by the Council.

Obstruction and damage to pavements

  • Do not let vehicles or materials block or damage the pavements.
  • Do not leave obstacles, holes or trenches where they are a danger, especially to disabled people (for example the blind).
  • The Council may charge you for any damage caused to pavements, kerbs or verges by lorries or heavy plant.

If you are having construction or refurbishment work done, you may need to notify the Health and Safety Executive (HSE) and you may have other duties as well – find out more below.

External websites

 Health and safety executive


Building Control 
Blaby District Council 
Council Offices 
Desford Road 
LE19 2EP
Email Image Icon
Email Image Icon
Telephone Image Icon
Telephone Image Icon
0116 272 7533
Fax Image Icon
Fax Image Icon
0116 272 7599
Minicom Image Icon
Minicom Image Icon
0116 284 9786
Last updated: 01 December 2017

Website feedback Did you find what you are looking for?

Is this page helpful?

Was this page helpful?

If you want to give comments on the service itself, please use the Blaby District Council feedback form.

Feedback success

Thank you

Your feedback has been submitted.

A-Z of Services A-Z
Email Updates