Blaby District Council has a range of green spaces that need to be managed as efficiently a possible. The council has started a project that will focus on potential commercial opportunities for Fosse Meadows, the council’s largest green space site.
Fosse Meadows is a large space covering nearly 150 acres and with much of the land now establishing as woodland, the council believes there is scope to consider improving the range of features and activities on the site. This will both improve the space for a wider range of visitors and for wildlife, whilst helping to reduce running costs.
The council has appointed a company, The Next Field Ltd who will act as lead consultants and bring together a team which includes expertise in green space management and improvement, research, ecology, architecture, landscape design, and transport planning.
This team will work with council officers and a range of other stakeholders to produce a ‘masterplan’ for Fosse Meadows, identifying commercial opportunities and make clear recommendations for the council’s Cabinet to consider in May 2016.
The objectives of the study are to:
• Consider the current financial arrangements for the running of Fosse Meadows and how these might change in the future in the context of the squeeze on public finances
• Undertake research into the types of potential commercial activities which might be accommodated at Fosse Meadows - attracting new income and audiences whilst not spoiling the features visitors find attractive and also support wildlife
• Understand the most important wildlife and historical values of the site so that these can be protected in any changes on site, and importantly brought to public attention through better information and educational material
• Review options and making recommendations for improving access to the site, considering the constraints created by existing narrow road access on Fosse Way
• Develop a vision and masterplan for Fosse Meadows in light of above research and analysis
• Consider options to implement proposals for Fosse Meadows, including alternative arrangements including partnerships between the council, commercial organisations and voluntary sector involvement.
If you would like to know more about the Fosse Meadows project please contact Project Manager Peter Wilkinson at firstname.lastname@example.org.
The council is also undertaking a user survey for the site so this can inform our plans.
Fosse Meadows User Survey 2016