Empty homes - Blaby District Council

Skip To Content


Empty homes

At Blaby District Council we want to tackle the issue of empty homes. We are able to use a variety of techniques and strategies to get these properties back into use, whether for sale, rent, or to be lived in by the current owner.

As a property owner within the private sector, you can access grants and loans provided by Blaby District Council to help you achieve a Decent Homes Standard and gain a rental income from your empty property.

Financial Assistance Available to Empty Property Owners 

Non-repayable Grant 
Interest Free Loan 

If your home remains empty 

In order to access the non-repayable grant all we ask in return is that you make the property available to let to a pre-approved tenant for a minimum of two years.

The benefits for you include:

A non repayable grant of up to £10,000 to enable you to bring your property up to a lettable standard       

A rental income for you at the Local Housing Allowance ranging from £373.97 pcm for a one bedroom property, to nearly £707.03 pcm for a four bedroom property (current levels set for 2016-17 financial year). For example renting out your two bedroom property for five years would result in a minimum rental income of £28,423!

We will find the right tenant for your property however; you as the property owner will have the opportunity to meet potential tenants with one to one support from your dedicated Housing Officer

Assistance from your dedicated officer with viewings, tenancy agreements, inspections and inventories, deposits and rent in advance of and throughout the tenancy – for free!

Additional funding to cover any damages  

In order to access the interest free loan up to £10,000 all we ask is that the property be bought back into use either by sale, occupation by the applicant family as his or their main home  or by letting the property within three months of the works being completed satisfactorily.

In order to take advantage of this “one off” funding opportunity you should register your interest with Blaby District Council at the earliest opportunity.

Funding is limited and therefore we will only be able to help a certain amount of empty property owners.

Whatever the reason your property stands empty, Blaby District Council may be able to help. For a no obligation, informal discussion, please contact our Empty Homes Team on 0116 272 7784 or email emptyhomes@blaby.gov.uk

An Empty Homes Officer will visit your property to assess the condition and how the property may be affecting the surrounding area

Our Empty Homes Enforcement Team can, in some cases use enforcement powers and may be able to take legal action to bring your empty home back into use

Blaby District Council hold such powers as; Compulsory Purchase Orders, Enforced Sales, Council Tax Enforced Sales and  Empty Dwelling Management Orders

It is worth noting that it is very likely that your current buildings insurance is invalid if the property becomes empty for long periods of time. Insurance premiums for empty properties are usually higher.  For more information regarding this you will need to contact your insurance provider.

If you wish to report an Empty Home you can email emptyhomes@blaby.gov.uk 

Tweet us @BlabyDC 

Find us on Facebook


Empty Homes Enforcement Strategy

Press Release - Empty Homes Given new lease of life

Press Release - Help for local landlords

Empty Homes Frequently Asked Questions (2014)

Important Information for Loan and Grant Applications

Application for Empty Homes Minor Works Grant

External Links

Housing Act 2004 (external website)


Environmental Health Services Team 
Blaby District Council 
Council Offices 
Desford Road 
LE19 2EP
Email Image Icon
Email Image Icon
Telephone Image Icon
Telephone Image Icon
0116 275 0555
Fax Image Icon
Fax Image Icon
0116 272 7594
Minicom Image Icon
Minicom Image Icon
0116 284 9786
Last updated: 02 October 2017

Website feedback Did you find what you are looking for?

Is this page helpful?

Was this page helpful?

If you want to give comments on the service itself, please use the Blaby District Council feedback form.

Feedback success

Thank you

Your feedback has been submitted.

A-Z of Services A-Z
Email Updates