Choice Based Lettings
What is Choice Based Lettings?
If you are interested in applying for social housing you will need to join the Choice Based Lettings scheme.
• Blaby, Melton, Oadby & Wigston, Harborough, Hinckley & Bosworth, North West Leicestershire & Charnwood councils all run the Choice Based Lettings Scheme.
• You only need one application if you want to apply to any of the district councils.
• Blaby District Council does not own any properties. The properties advertised through the scheme are from registered providers (housing associations) or other local authorities.
• When the properties are available the housing associations will advertise them on the Choice Based Lettings website. When you have an active housing application you can put 'bids' on these properties.
You can apply by completing a form online HERE or printing off and completing a application below.
Who can apply?
In order to apply, you must meet some eligibility criteria.
• If you have a local connection to any of the seven districts (local connection criteria is outlined in the policy).
• Be over the age of 16 years old (however, please note the housing associations set their own minimum age criteria).
Who cannot apply?
• If you have NO local connection to Leicestershire.
• If you are subject to immigration control - we will need to see a copy of your status papers (if you are NOT eligible for help, you can contact the refugee council for advice www.refugeecouncil.org.uk).
• If you have financial means to provide your own accommodation (exceptions may be made if there is a need for supported or sheltered accommodation).
• Have housing related debt over £300 with no re-payment plan set up.
• In certain circumstances you may be considered unsuitable to be a tenant and refused to join the register due to behaviour or convictions.
How to apply?
If you are a new applicant or a transfer applicant, you can apply online by clicking on this link: Choice Based Lettings.
Alternatively you can print out a copy of the housing application form, complete it and return it to the Housing Options Team.
If you have any medical or mobility conditions please complete a copy of the medical form (below).
What happens next?
Once you submit your application we require copies of the proofs listed as you complete the form. (See the frequently asked questions page for further info).
When we have your completed application and the proofs, your application number and log in details will be provided via email or the post. You will then be able to bid on properties.