Exemptions - Blaby District Council

Skip To Content



The following cases are exempt from paying Council Tax:

  • Halls of residence – the property will be exempt if it is lived in mainly by students and owned or managed by an educational establishment.

  • A property that is solely occupied by students, school or college leavers, aged 18 or over, either in full-time or term-time accommodation.

  • Armed forces accommodation – the property will be exempt if it is held for the purpose of providing armed forces accommodation (houses, barracks, mess and married quarters).

  • Visiting armed forces accommodation – a property will be exempt if it is lived in by a person with a relevant association to a visiting force.

  • Empty caravan pitches or houseboat moorings – a dwelling made up of a pitch or a mooring which is not occupied by a caravan or a boat.

  • A property that is solely occupied by people under the age of 18.

  • A property with at least two separate dwellings and occupied by a dependent relative, for example a “granny flat”.

  • A property where the resident is a dependent relative of the person(s) living in another part of the property and is aged 65 years or over, disabled or severely mentally impaired.

  • Solely occupied by people who are severely mentally impaired (see printable forms below).

  • Where at least one liable person has diplomatic, commonwealth or consular privilege or immunity – a property lived in by a diplomat.

Printable forms

Application for Council Tax exemption for severe mental impairment (PDF)


Revenues Section
Blaby District Council
Council Offices
Desford Road
LE19 2EP

Email Image Icon
Email Image Icon
Telephone Image Icon
Telephone Image Icon
0116 272 7530
Mobile Image Icon
Mobile Image Icon
Out of hours:
Fax Image Icon
Fax Image Icon
0116 272 7790
Minicom Image Icon
Minicom Image Icon
0116 284 9786
Last updated: 08 February 2017

Website feedback Did you find what you are looking for?

Is this page helpful?

Was this page helpful?

If you want to give comments on the service itself, please use the Blaby District Council feedback form.

Feedback success

Thank you

Your feedback has been submitted.

A-Z of Services A-Z
Email Updates