Recycling - Blaby District Council

Skip To Content


What can I recycle?


We provide an integrated refuse and recycling service to every household in the district.  Each household is issued with either bins or sacks.    

What can I put in my recycling bin?

Yes please

  • Plastic bottles – milk, mineral water, drinks bottles, shampoo, detergent, bleach, fabric conditioners etc
  • Tins and cans – aluminium drink cans and steel food tins(please rinse)
  • Sweet/chocolate tins
  • Foil – tin foil, foil trays, foil pie trays, takeaway trays
  • Empty aerosol cans – hairspray, deodorants etc
  • White food trays
  • Fruit punnets and plastic tubs
  • Yoghurt pots
  • Milk and juice cartons
  • Card & plastic egg boxes
  • Plastic cutlery
  • Carrier Bags
  • Glass bottles(any colour)
  • Glass jars (any colour)
  • Newspapers
  • Magazines
  • Junk mail
  • Shredded paper (contained)
  • Envelopes
  • Catalogues
  • Cereal boxes
  • Telephone directories (including yellow pages)
  • Cardboard

No thanks

  • Nappies
  • Black plastic food trays
  • Black bin liners
  • Plant pots and seed trays
  • Foam food boxes
  • Paint tins
  • Polystyrene
  • Hard plastics, e.g. coat hangers
  • Household/garden/pet waste
  • Crisp bags/food wrappers
  • Kitchen utensils and cutlery
  • Video cassettes
  • Broken or plate glass
  • Bubble wrap
  • Pyrex/crockery/ceramics
  • Glass ornaments
  • Hardback books
  • Used kitchen paper/tissues
  • Food
Recycling Bin Sticker

Battery Bag

Yes please

  • Used household batteries
  • Used mobile phone batteries
  • Used lithium batteries
  • Used hearing aid batteries

No thanks

  • Industrial batteries
  • Car batteries
  • Motor bike batteries

If you do not have a battery bag please use a sandwich bag.  This will be replaced with a new battery bag when it's collected.

Mind Bag

The Council is working with MIND, the mental health charity.  Donating your textiles and small electrical items to MIND helps them to raise funds and support people with mental health problems. Donating also helps to reduce the amount of waste that goes to landfill.

To find out what MIND collect,If you want to request a donation bag or arrange a collection please visit the MIND Collections page.

Further information

Households of up to three residents are issued with one 140ltr wheeled bin (green lid) for recycling.

Households with 4-6 permanent residents are entitled to one 240ltr wheeled bin (green lid) for recycling.

Households with 7 or more permanent residents are entitled to one 240ltr and one 140ltr wheeled bins (green lids) for refuse.

If you currently have less bin capacity than you are entitled to as above and would like to increase your bin size, please contact us on 0116 272 7555.

We will also collect any used household batteries (not industrial, car or motor bike). Please put your used batteries out in a special battery bag or small sandwich bag and put them on top of your recycling bin.

Replacement Bins

The Council will charge for replacement bins if they have been damaged on purpose or if they have been stolen or are reported as missing.

The charges are for the replacement of the old bin and for delivery. The charge is not for the new bin and the new bin will continue to be the property of the Council.

Charges are £30 for delivery regardless of bin size.

We will not charge for wear and tear damage to bins, eg broken lids, missing lid pins, splits to the body of the bin or damaged wheels.

Before you report your bin as stolen or missing please check your neighbours' gardens to see if it has been taken and check around the area to make sure the bin isn't further down the road/been misplaced.

The bins are your responsibility, it is up to you to keep your bins safe and to retrieve your bins from your neighbours. We do not replace dirty bins, it is your responsibility to keep your bins clean.

For those properties unable to accommodate wheeled bins, we do provide refuse and recycling sacks free of charge. These are delivered by us on a 6 monthly basis.

Garden Waste

There are two different sized garden bins available. You can rent at an annual cost:

  • a 140ltr bin for £24.00 per year, or
  • a 240ltr bin for £36.00 per year

In addition to the bins, garden waste sacks are available from many outlets in the district.


Recycling small electrical equipment 

Refuse and garden bag stockists


Neighbourhood Services
Blaby District Council
Council Offices
Desford Road
LE19 2EP
Email Image Icon
Email Image Icon
Telephone Image Icon
Telephone Image Icon
0116 272 7555
Fax Image Icon
Fax Image Icon
0116 275 0368
Minicom Image Icon
Minicom Image Icon
0116 284 9786
Last updated: 09 October 2018

Website feedback Did you find what you are looking for?

Is this page helpful?

Was this page helpful?

If you want to give comments on the service itself, please use the Blaby District Council feedback form.

Feedback success

Thank you

Your feedback has been submitted.

A-Z of Services A-Z
Email Updates