From 13 June 2018 you may no longer be eligible to claim Housing Benefit as Universal Credit will be available to all residents living in the area of Blaby District Council and we will not be able to accept any new claims for Housing Benefit unless:
- You or your partner are of State Pension credit age
- Live in Supported Accommodation
- Have 3 or more dependant children
- You are living in temporary accommodation arranged by our Housing Options Team
You may still claim Council Tax Support from Blaby District Council.
Click here to find out more about Universal Credit
Council Tax Support can help towards the cost of your council tax charge if you are on a low income. You can also be employed and claim if you are working and you do not earn very much money.
The amount of benefit you get depends on the level of your capital and income, together with your individual circumstances. You can check whether you may be entitled to Housing Benefit or Council Tax Support by using the online Benefit and Support calculator.
If you are not eligible to claim Universal Credit but are still eligible to claim Housing Benefit and/or Council Tax Support you can claim online.
You will need to provide evidence to support your claim by:
Uploading the information
Emailing the information to email@example.com
Posting the information directly to the Benefits Team at the Council Offices
You can visit the Housing Benefit reception desk at the Council Offices, Narborough where an assessor will confirm if you have provided all of the required information, or tell you what documents you need to provide to complete your claim.
You can also drop off your information at the Braunstone Civic Centre on Kingsway to be forwarded to us.
You can post your claim and documents to us. Please note that you should be careful about sending valuable documents like a passport through the post. Please ensure that you put the correct postage on any packages to ensure that the information reaches us.
Please note that we will need to see original documents in respect of your/your partner’s identity as photocopied or scanned documents are not acceptable.
You can download and print a claim form.
(Please ensure you set your printer to print in black and white).
Benefit claim form
Ring the Benefits Team on 0116 272 7510 and request a claim form to be sent to you in the post.
Do not delay in sending in your claim form, even if you do not have all the supporting information available, as benefit is normally awarded from the Monday following the day we receive the claim form.
The Benefits Team at Blaby District Council offer you different options for returning your claim form:
- You can ring 0116 272 7510 for an appointment and arrange a mutually convenient time for you to attend the Council Offices. You will be advised what documents you need to bring to the appointment.
At the appointment the assessor will go through the form and your documents with you. If it is possible they may be able to assess your claim whilst you wait so that you can understand how your benefit is calculated and any payments due.
- If it would be more convenient for you to be interviewed at the Braunstone Civic Centre on the Kingsway an appointment can be arranged for a Tuesday morning between 10am-12pm.
Please let the team know when you ring to make an appointment if you would prefer to be interviewed at this location.
- You can visit the Benefit reception desk at Narborough where an assessor will confirm that you have provided all of the required information, or tell you what documents you need to provide to complete your claim.
- You can also drop off your information at the Braunstone Civic Centre on Kingsway to be forwarded to us.
- You can post your claim and documents to us. Please note though you should be careful about sending valuable documents like passports through the post.
In exceptional circumstances, for instance if you are ill or have mobility problems, we can arrange a home visit. Please let the team know when you ring to make an appointment that you require a home visit. If you do have a home visit, please ensure that all the supporting documentation for your claim is available. Please contact us and we will send you a claim form, or you can download a claim form from the above link.