Noise issues - Blaby District Council

Skip To Content


Noise pollution


This page details which noise issues are dealt with by our Environmental Health Department, and which are dealt with by our Anti-social Behaviour Department

The environmental health team can investigate the following complaints concerning noise:

  • Amplified noise (for example loud music or TV)

  • Animal noise (for example barking dogs or crowing cockerels)
  • Commercial noise (for example noise from shops, pubs, leisure facilities)
  • Construction or industrial noise (for example machinery, factories, building sites)

  • Intruder alarms (for example car and house alarms)
  • Mechanical noise (DIY)

Anti-social behaviour and noise reportedly being made on purpose

If you believe that the noise is being made on purpose and you are able to provide evidence in the form of completing diary sheets that we send to you, we will review the information and assess how best we can help you. We work very closely with our Anti-social behaviour (ASB) team colleagues and it is likely that we will refer your complaint to a member of the ASB team. The Anti-social behaviour team will assist with the following:

  • Noises reportedly being made on purpose
  • Noise associated with loitering, groups or gangs
  • Noise associated with anti-social behaviour
  • Abusive language directed at yourself or others
  • Swearing, shouting, slamming doors in excess

Noise that we are unable to deal with

Transport noise

Unfortunately, we have no jurisdiction to deal with road traffic noise, railway noise and aircraft noise; these are exempt from statutory nuisance law under the Environmental Protection Act 1990. We may work in conjunction with the Highways department at Leicestershire County Council if there is an identified noise problem associated with a particular road, especially if it is a new road or recently altered.

Banging noises, slamming doors, children playing, heavy footsteps

Unfortunately, we have no statutory powers to deal with people noise and noise associated with people’s behaviour. Please note that no home can be totally sound-proofed and it is expected to hear some neighbour noise, particularly if you live in a flat, semi-detached or terraced house


Environmental Health 
Blaby District Council
Council Offices
Desford Road
LE19 2EP
Email Image Icon
Email Image Icon
Telephone Image Icon
Telephone Image Icon
0116 272 7555
Fax Image Icon
Fax Image Icon
0116 272 7594
Minicom Image Icon
Minicom Image Icon
0116 284 9786
Last updated: 01 December 2017

Website feedback Did you find what you are looking for?

Is this page helpful?

Was this page helpful?

If you want to give comments on the service itself, please use the Blaby District Council feedback form.

Feedback success

Thank you

Your feedback has been submitted.

A-Z of Services A-Z
Email Updates