Council tax - band reductions
The local authority may give a band reduction in order to recalculate the amount of council tax payable if a permanently disabled person (whether an adult or child) lives in a property. Certain features are essential or of major importance to the well being of the disabled person.
How do I apply for a disability reduction?
- Check that you meet the qualifying criteria listed in the Further information section below or on the printable application form,
- You can then apply by:
- telephone; or
- by returning the printable application form (our details are at the foot of the page).
- If you have any queries or wish to discuss your eligibility, please contact us;
- Please ensure a contact telephone number is provided in your application so that an officer can arrange a convenient time to visit you at your property.
The basic amount of the council tax may be reduced if:
- A disabled person lives in the property, and
- The property has certain features that are essential, or of major importance, to the disabled person because of her/his disability.
The property must have at least one of the following criteria:
- A room (other than a bathroom, kitchen or a lavatory) which is predominantly used by the person with the disability;
- An additional bathroom or kitchen within the property, which is necessary for meeting the needs of the disabled person;
- A wheelchair used indoors by the disabled person.
Note: A sole bathroom or kitchen, even if specially adapted to meet the needs of a person with a disability, is not sufficient to qualify. Additionally, a wheelchair is not considered to be required for meeting the needs of a disabled person if he/she does not need to use it in the living accommodation in the property concerned.
If you are entitled, your bill will be reduced to that of the next lowest valuation band. If you feel you or someone you know of would qualify for this reduction, a visiting officer would need to visit the property to assess any entitlement. Please get in touch with us, our contact details are below.
Related pages on this website
|Officer / Team||Revenues Section|
|Postal address||Blaby District Council
|Telephone||0116 272 7530|
|Fax||0116 272 7790|
If you need this information in other languages or formats (large print, Braille or audio), please let us know when you contact us.
This page was last updated on 18th August 2011
How do you rate this information / service?