Domestic abuse is not just hitting or fighting or the occasional nasty argument, it is an abuse of power over another person. Domestic abuse is any intimidating behaviour, violence or abuse between adults who are or have been in a relationship, or between family members. Domestic Abuse has many forms including physical aggression, sexual abuse, harassment, financial abuse, emotional abuse. What ever form domestic abuse takes it is rarely a one-off incident and is frequently a behaviour that has repeatedly happened over many months or years. It can affect anybody, regardless of their gender or sexuality.
How to use this service
This service is for anyone affected by domestic abuse. The Domestic Abuse Outreach Co-ordinator can:
- Talk to you on the phone or meet you face to face to discuss any concerns that you may have about your relationship
- Put you in touch with other caring agencies and sources of help and attend appointments with you if you wish
- Advise you on your housing options and make an appointment with the housing options team
- Help you look at your children's needs including advising you of services available in the area
- Assist you to sort out your finances and help you apply for any benefits that you may be entitled to
- Offer practical advice about what is available legally and put you in contact with solicitors who are experienced in domestic abuse issues
A Domestic Abuse Directory with some of the local and national organisations that you can contact for help or advice on dealing with domestic abuse including counselling, health, drugs and alcohol, housing and money has been produced by Blaby District Council in association with Blaby Community Safety Partnership.
The 24-hour National Domestic Violence
Free phone Helpline - 0808 2000 247
Related pages on this website
- Refuge (external link)
- Refuge's network of safe houses provides emergency accommodation for women and children when they are most in need.
- Hideout (external link)
- Hideout is the national domestic violence website for children and young people
- Drugs and Alcohol Service (external link)
- For a wide range of drug and alcohol services available in Leicestershire & Rutland.
- Rights of Women (external link)
- Rights of Women is a women’s voluntary organisation committed to informing, educating and empowering women concerning their legal rights.
- Community legal advice (external link)
- For information and advice about your legal rights.
- Leicestershire Police (external link)
Local Constabulary for Leicestershire
- Women's Aid (external link)
- Women's Aid is the key national charity working to end domestic violence against women and children.
|Officer / Team||Domestic Abuse Outreach Co-ordinator|
|Postal address||Blaby District Council
|Telephone||0116 272 7637|
If you need this information in other languages or formats (large print, Braille or audio), please let us know when you contact us.
This page was last updated on 25th March 2010
How do you rate this information / service?