Health and safety - asbestos
Residents and business may be given advice on what to do if they believe asbestos may be present in a building. Council inspectors may visit the premises to confirm the presence of asbestos and advise on procedures for removal and disposal.
It is the responsibility of all businesses to manage the asbestos within it; this includes undertaking an assessment to determine if any asbestos is present.
If you require guidance on how to manage asbestos in your premises then you can contact the commercial environmental health department for further information.
For domestic properties
If you are considering the removal of asbestos from your domestic property please consider the following points:
- if it is not clearly asbestos cement – you can get a contractor out to have a look at it and if necessary they can take a section of the suspected asbestos and have it tested in a lab
- if asbestos cement (i.e. garage / shed roof) you can dismantle this your self
- keep in as large pieces as possible and do not break up the pieces where possible
- use a hand tool for dismantling and damp down the area to prevent dust rising
- wear disposable aprons and masks which can be bought from any large hardware store
- double bag the pieces
- BDC can collect a maximum of ten pieces for £60.05 – extra cost if more than 10
- You can also take it yourself to the tip in Whetstone
- You need to contact County Hall waste management section and get a waste transfer notice – as you cannot move the asbestos without one – you will need to give them your vehicle registration
- 0116 305 0001
- Then take this with you when you take it to whetstone transfer Station
|Officer / Team||Commercial Environmental Health Team|
|Postal address||Blaby District Council
|Telephone||0116 272 7555|
|Fax||0116 272 7594|
If you need this information in other languages or formats (large print, Braille or audio), please let us know when you contact us.
This page was last updated on 1st April 2010
How do you rate this information / service?