Report an accident at work - Blaby District Council

Skip To Content


Health and safety - accident reporting


Employers have a duty to report certain dangerous occurrences and accidents at work to the Local Authority who will investigate any incidents. The outcome of these enquiries usually involves the giving of advice to the employer. If a blatant breach of requirements is identified as the main reason for an accident happening, then formal action will be taken.

Further information

Why do certain accidents need to be reported?

To ensure that risks to people's health and welfare in the workplace are properly controlled, certain accidents at work have to be reported in order that an investigation can be carried out, to ascertain what can be done to prevent reoccurrence and to see if there has been a breach of health and safety at work regulations or any other legislation.

How do I report an accident at work?

All accidents are reported to one central office - the Incident Contact Centre (ICC). The centre was established on 1st April 2001 as a single point of contact for reporting all work related accidents in the UK.

All incidents should be reported online but a telephone service is also provided for reporting fatal and specified injuries only - call the ICC on 0845 300 9923 (opening hours Monday to Friday from 8.30am to 5.00pm.)

What type of accident do I need to report to the enforcing authority?
The Reporting of Injuries, Diseases and Dangerous Occurrences Regulations 2013 (RIDDOR 2013) requires the following work related incidents to be reported:

  • All deaths occurring as a result of work activity - including workers and the public

  • All specified injuries to workers - for a full list, go to the HSE RIDDOR website

  • Over-seven-day injuries to workers

  • Injuries to members of the public or people not at work - where the person is injured and taken from the scene of the accident to hospital to be treated for that injury

  • Reportable occupational diseases

  • Reportable dangerous occurrences

  • Reportable gas incidents (for suppliers installers and importers)

Please note that some specified injuries may still be reported to us, these reports are then forwarded to the ICC for processing.


What is a 'specified injury'? 

  • Fracture other than to fingers, thumbs or toes

  • Amputation of an arm, hand, finger, thumb, leg, foot or toe

  • Permanent loss of sight or reduction of sight
  • Crush injuries leading to internal organ damage
  • Serious burns (covering more than 10% of the body, or damaging the eyes, respiratory system or other vital organs)
  • Scalping (separation of skin from the head) which require hospital treatment
  • Unconsciousness caused by head injury or asphyxia
  • Any other injury arising from working in an enclosed space, which leads to hypothermia, heat-induced illness or requires resuscitation or admittance to hospital for more than 24 hours

Do I need a first aider in my company?

There is no definite answer but it is strongly recommended. In any company, the number and type of first aid personnel would be based on an assessment. In assessing need, employers need to consider:

  • workplace hazards and risks

  • the size of the organisation

  • the organisation's history of accidents

  • the nature and distribution of the workforce

  • the remoteness of the site from emergency medical services

  • the needs of travelling, remote and lone workers

  • employees working on shared or multi-occupied sites

  • annual leave and other absences of first aiders and appointed persons

  • However it is strongly advised that a suitably stocked first aid box be kept on the premises within easy access at all times and should be easily identifiable.

If you have identified that your workplace needs first aiders, they must have completed a first aid at work course provided by a Health and Safety Executive (HSE) approved training organisation.

External websites

Incident Contact Centre (ICC) 


Environmental Health 
Blaby District Council
Council Offices
Desford Road
LE19 2EP
Email Image Icon
Email Image Icon
Telephone Image Icon
Telephone Image Icon
0116 272 7555
Fax Image Icon
Fax Image Icon
0116 272 7594
Minicom Image Icon
Minicom Image Icon
0116 284 9786
Last updated: 04 December 2014

Website feedbackDid you find what you are looking for?

Is this page helpful?

Was this page helpful?

If you want to give comments on the service itself, please use the Blaby District Council feedback form.

Feedback success

Thank you

Your feedback has been submitted.

A-Z of Services A-Z
Email Updates