Become a District or Parish Councillor and you could be just the person to make a difference in your community.
You don't need special skills or experience and you get paid a reasonable allowance for your time, with training available to help you develop new skills.
We all have different experiences, skills and interests: perhaps you'd like to get more activities for young people, help local businesses thrive, make decisions on planning applications or improve services generally. Then come along to a -
Prospective Councillor Event
Date: Tuesday 29 January 2019
Time: 6.00 pm
Venue: Blaby District Council, Council Chamber, Desford Road, Narborough, LE19 2EP
The event aims to give you an:-
overview of the council
idea of the varied roles of a councillor
opportunity to ask questions; and
information on how to stand for election.
Who is eligible to be a Councillor?
You do not have to belong to a political party to stand for election, however, you do have to be:
- aged 18 or older
- a British citizen, or a citizen of the Irish Republic or a relevant citizen of the European Union
- on the Electoral Register for the area or have, during the previous 12 months, lived or worked in the area.
In brief, a Councillor is elected to:
- Represent a constituency and be sensitive to its needs.
- Take their share in determining the policies of the Council over its whole area, while still having regard to the needs of their own constituency.
- Ensure that officers of the Council carry out the policies of the Council effectively.
- Act as a channel of communication between the Council and their constituents and vice versa, concerning themselves with complaints and representations made by the public. .
If you are interested in finding more information on standing as a Parish (or Local Councillors) you can also download slides from the Leicestershire and Rutland Association for Local (Parish and Town) Councils.
See more information on how to be a Councillor
Leicestershire and Rutland Association for Local (Parish and Town) Councils - LRALC